Saturday, May 31, 2014

The Proof That You Care...


"The proof that you care is that each day you get up out of bed and pretend to."


It seems that "love" ought to rhyme with "approve", but it doesn't, and sometimes you just have to live with it.


Do I remember the last time I got a traffic ticket?  Yes, it was the last time a younger person called me "Sir."


"I don't know how the world will end, but I suspect that it will exactly coincide with the highest corporate profits ever recorded."


"Occasionally it's good to make a list of all the things you want just because you can't have them -- and burn it."


****


From my book, Round Up The Usual Subjects


"The beauty of forgiveness is that it requires only a forgiving party.  There needn't be a party worthy of forgiveness."


"It is perhaps unfair to ask forgiveness of love, but that is usually the injured party."


"If there be no God, then what is truth but the average of all lies."


~~ Robert Brault

6 comments:

  1. You would think live would rhyme with live, but it doesn't when one is live (as in active). The English language is funny at times...and even funnier if you think about it for to, two, too long.
    I love your first quote.
    If ever I do make a list of anything, I would have to spend a few days trying to find it if I wanted to burn it. I suppose I could burn it immediately, but I'm a procrastinator. I say this because I always write on pieces of scrap paper which then become lost.

    Keep 'em coming, Robert.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ken, thanks so much for stopping by. Your comment reminds me of an old Tom Swifty, "I can't remember what I wanted to do today," he said listlessly.

    Smiles,
    rb

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true on the idea that love does not necessarily mean approval. It's a hard one -- one we are experiencing here first hand, I'm afraid. Which leads to another lovely idea - that forgiveness is beautiful, and all that it needs is a forgiving party. We got that one.

    Thank you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jan, your connecting the two thoughts is further proof of what I've always said -- I merely supply the words, you all supply the wisdom. rb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quote about forgiveness reminded me of that powerful scene in the film Philomena, where Philomena tells the old nun she forgives her, when the nun is far from being ready to ask for forgiveness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Catherine, I well remember the scene -- and I confess that there is a nun or two from my school days that I have not yet forgiven (smile). rb

    ReplyDelete